Search This Blog

Friday, July 9, 2021

Latest Wet Plate Preparation Work

 Wet plate is all about preparation. I did some work at work and at home in the trailer the last few days.

At work:

- Cleaned and deburred 4x5 plates clear glass plates

- Cleaned and deburred 4x5 plates clear glass and black glass plates.

- Cleaned and deburred 4x5 and 8x10 clear glass plates.


At home:

- Attached  the sewer out from the sinks to the portable sewer tank with an adaptor. There seems to be a blockage in the line, need to figure that out, draining is slow.

- Tested the agitation pump, it works on the 200w Costo battery unit. Not sure for how long.

- Redid the specific gravity of my silver, measuring hydrometer to check that it was a about 1.07. 

- Placed the large free silver storage cooler I got and made from work in the trailer.

- Mixed up another bottle of plate cleaner. 1/3 calcium carbonate, 1/3 Distilled water, 1/3 Alcohol.

I now have 2 larger bottles of about 2500-3000ml each. If one bath has problems I can try the second. I need to buy more EXPENSIVE silver nitrate for future use. I have a small amount in a bottle (misplaced) that I can use for toping up. But to do up larger amounts of Silver that I will need for the 16x20 camera this year I need to get more.

There are 2 problems with the silver bath storage unit. One is that 2 of my bottles are stuck, the foam kept expanding and trapped them. The second is I am getting a slight droplet leak when I tighten the caps on the older bigger bottles that I bought cheaper (should have realized). I need to figure out how to seal those properly so no air gets in and no Silver liquid gets out.

Update* Might try this to get a better seal on the caps, will give it a go after work tomorrow. I will also work on the sewer plugged issue. Got to get the trailer and the rest 100% functioning, so it will be a great tool in the field!

I love how you can find help for almost any problem on YouTube!

How To Stop A Leaking Cap By Improvisation!

Silver Nitrate Cooler

No comments:

Post a Comment

Expensive Gear to be Used Soon

Expensive gear central. Hoping to use the lens and camera this week and the press to make photogravure prints all winter! 24x24 Ambrotype la...