Search This Blog

Saturday, December 11, 2021

Dodging Ambrotypes In The Field?

Another simple (sort of boring) Ambrotype scene that I completed over the last few days. This one has been varnished and a black acrylic rubber type paint applied to the back (not a smooth application). Good image to practise and learn with.

The 3D effect is more pronounced in this photo. Subject and composition can add that illusion of depth especially in these clear glass reversed (seeing through the glass) Ambrotypes.
 
Kind of like the exposure on this one, thou it is a tad over on the left, you can see detail in the shadow area at the back right. I wonder if I can dodge the image during the exposure (in front of the lens enlarger like). Would that work? Dodging mask of some kind? Hands? Then I could lesson the tone of the highlights while maintaining the detail in the shadows. Seems rather difficult to do, but might be an option in the field. Or I guess I could just lose the shadow to black and expose properly for the majority of the scene.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

24x24 Camera/Ambrotype Learning from Sept 13

Will be TRYING to make 24x24 inch Ambrotypes today. I found a nice quiet area near my home. Will shoot a tree section. It’s a beautiful Sept...