Search This Blog

Friday, March 24, 2023

Season 3 Working Out My Systems

The trailer is a bit better, a bit more organized and clean. More work to do. No liquids loaded yet as we still have freezing temps in Edmonton.

Getting all the gear in will be a tight tight fit, especially with the coming HF3535 camera (150lb view camera, 35x35 inches). 

For now I am trying to figure out how to carry all the 20x24 canera gear and needed wet plate darkroom tools. I want to make 20x24 inch ambrotypes this season.

My 20x24  silver tank fits into the left sink so that’s good. In the sink I will have less chance of knocking over and spilling a thousand (?) dollars of silver.  I think there is enough overhead clearance to work the tank.

Still trying to figure how I can produce these ultra large plates to completion in the field. I need to be able to make, wash, dry, varnish and safety store 20x24 inch and 35x35 inch ambrotypes to completion in the farthest, remotest parts of Canada. I need to develop a system I can work through my 60s into my early 70s. Not too difficult right? 🙂

Over the last 2 seasons I I have mostly solved the the power, agitation and water problems . Still need to figure out how to dry the ultra large plates both after the wash and after the varnish. The trailer will not be large enough. I am thinking of some kind of drying tent rooms with shelving for the 20x24 and 35x35 inch Ambros. A tent would help protect from outdoor debris, insects, rain etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Larger Truck Magnets

The new larger truck magnets for the ambrotype project, look nice. Also got a stamp.  I will place the magnets on the BEAST 1 ton or Fanny t...